Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Friends

When I think of friends, I think of the memories I have of them. Some friendships were short lived, some have been long lived, but each friend created a memory. Forming relationships in life... whether as friends or in families... is a vital part in experiencing joy in this life and in the life to come.

Childhood friends

The first friend I recall having was a neighbor in Parowan. Her name was Lorna Rowley. We were only 4 years old but we must have been the best of friends! After our family moved from Parowan to Price in 1961, we continued to keep in touch. We exchanged school pictures with each other through the mail. Honestly, that is all I remember about her. 

I made another friend just after we moved to Spring Glen. Her name was Pauline Tervort. She and her family moved to Salem two years after we moved to Spring Glen. We, too, continued to exchange school pictures throughout the years. Even though we were miles apart our friendship blossomed through the years. I spent a summer or two at their house and had many wonderful memories playing in the neighborhood pond. As we grew older, we wrote each other letters. Our friendship continued even into our marriages. We sent yearly Christmas cards to each other and I would occasionally find an opportunity to stop and see her in Payson. The last time I saw her was when Nicole was born. That was 15 years ago. She was the head nurse at the Payson Hospital. We had a wonderful time visiting and catching up. 

My best childhood friend was Lynette Brown. Her family moved into Spring Glen in 1963. We were not easily separated... maybe only by the large wash that ran down the center of the rural route. We would often walk through the fields and through the wash to each other's houses and play. Or we would stop and play in the wash. Our friendship lasted all through our school years and beyond. She was my best friend! I have many fond memories of the entire Brown family. All seven of the kids in their family were our ages and made for a natural friendship. Lynette was my maid of honor at my wedding. We kept in touch through most of our adult years but as our families grew larger, we grew more distant. But I will always think of her as one of my most treasured friend's.

Another good friend I made in High School was Sherry Bean. She moved to Price her Senior Year. We had Home Economics together and hit it off from the beginning, even though she was a Senior and I was a Junior. She had very long blonde hair that went below her waist. I thought she was beautiful! And I thought it was really neat that she had moved here from Southern California... next to the ocean and beaches. She has been a faithful friend since our High School years. We have kept in touch through the years. Not consistently, but we do. Our birthday's are on the exact same day, September 21st, and it has always been fun to send each other cards and visit. Sherry has come to my aid during times of heartbreak and sorrow, which I have been grateful for. The last time I saw and visited with her was at Steven's funeral. I consider her a dear friend and always will. 

Best Friends

After I got married, my best friends became my sisters. Having our children together made for the best of times. We had parties, went on picnics, took our kiddos to the park, and enjoyed special occasions together. We had everything in common! Those friendships included mother! She was there in every thing we sisters did. I considered mother to be my very best friend. She was always there when I needed her. She counseled, comforted, and brought joy and happiness into my life. I could always depend on her! She taught me how to be a mother, and most of all... love to be a mother.Those were wonderful years. I can't think of a better time in life for making lasting and treasured friendships.

Husband's are friends, too. I am lucky because I have had two! :)

Adult friends

I have had many wonderful people come into my life over the many years of moving, settling, and moving again. I can name people from practically everywhere I have lived that remains a cherished friend today. All due to the memories we made together. Here are a few...

Rex and Joy Minchey from Cleveland. Rex was "best man" at mine and Greg's wedding. He and Joy still call and stop by and see me once in a great while. Some friends are forever! 

Sue Stark from Steamboat Springs, Colorado. She also moved back to Utah and became an Insurance Agent. We have made it a point to visit and catch up on family matters whenever the opportunity arises. It is seldom, but I will always think of her as a good friend when I needed one. She was always willing to talk and "listen". 

Marlene Kaufman from Logan. Oh... I could tell you so many stories about Marlene and I. She moved in around the corner from me in Logan. She was also a single mother, with slightly older children, and we hit it right off. She was very beautiful. Long blonde hair and the prettiest smile you ever saw! She was always well groomed and dressed so beautiful. We spent a lot of time together... talking about the gospel and just everything, going on nightly walks, and attending church and the temple, along with other activities. She became my dearest and most treasured friend ever. I can still say to this day that she will always be. She was so positive and cheerful all the time. She was a big influence in my life for good. Always good! She actually introduced me to Dave. After our re-marriages, we didn't do so much together. She married a fellow from Ohio, the place where she grew up, but we always kept in touch. I went on a trip back East to see Shaniel and Steven. It was in 1996. I spent a few days with Marlene and her husband. She took me all over the country side. It was so enjoyable being with my dear friend. My favorites were seeing the Amish and how they lived and the beautiful carousal in a nearby park. I was saddened when I found out a few years ago that she had cancer... originating from a strep throat that was not treated. She passed away a couple of years ago, a few short months after Shaniel. I am so grateful I was able to visit with her on the phone a couple of times before her passing. The last time was a few weeks before she passed away. She still had that laugh... that caring personality and asked me how I was and if Dave were treating me good! She felt responsible for our marriage. I remain in contact with her daughters and love them as much as I loved her. Oh... I miss my friend terribly. 

Wendy Lowry from Brigham City. Wendy and I were PAT educators together in Box Elder County. She became one of my dearest friends. Her kindness and visits are among my greatest treasures. 

Peggy Ray was my visiting teaching partner in the Willard 1st Ward. She was always so pleasant and wore a smile on her face at all times. We became very good friends. She was a great comfort to me after Shaniel passed away. I remember the first time I went back to church after Shaniel's death. It was difficult. I was very sensitive to the spirit. I sat next to Peggy in R.S. and she could tell I was tearing up. She handed me a tissue and held my hand. I felt her love and will never forget what she did for me that day. She lost a son in a car accident when he was 17 years old and knew somewhat of the pain I felt. She and Mac have since moved to Pleasant Grove to be closer to a daughter. I have really missed her.

Dick Eskelson 

Valerie Taylor

I consider the brothers and sisters I serve with at the temple my friends. It is a wonderful thing to feel their love and friendship every week.

Family - Eternal Friends

My children are my very best friends! We talk, laugh, cry, reminisce, plan, conspire, encourage, support, party, work together, and have the best ever days together. 

My sisters and brothers are also my best friends. Since mom and dad have passed away, we don't get together as often. I miss those days terribly. But I have found out that sisters and brothers never abandon you! Never! I have been grateful for listening ears and shoulders to cry on with the passing of Shaniel and Steven. I have found solace in their comforting arms, love... spoken and unspoken, spiritual uplifting, compassion, and healing. Bad things happen to good people and I am grateful for a family who loves without condition. Who see's not only their own children, as God see's them, but mine as well. Family is love!


4 comments:

  1. I loved how when I started thinking about friends and the influence they had on my life, it became a endless list. We really are surrounded by a lot of very good people. Loved learning about all your friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I had read your's and Kelley's posts, it started my thinking on the influence of friends, too. My list would also be endless if I mentioned every single person that has touched my life in one way or another. Oh... I really need to add Marlene Kaufman!! Won't it be wonderful when we pass through the veil and see all of our friends and loved ones again... never to be parted again!

      Delete
  2. I agree with Leslie, the list is endless. One talent that you and Leslie have that I really admire is your ability to reach out and make really strong friendships. I can see they have really strengthened your life. I feel secure in the bonds of my family nucleus and have a hard time making those ties that seem to come more easily to you. Dad was that way too. He could make friends everywhere. It was fun reading and being reminded about how fun it was to have the Browns for "neighbors". We had a lot of fun playing with, working on the farm, and having sleepovers. I remember Karen throwing all of us in the back of the station wagon and hauling us to Price for an afternoon of swimming. We'd stop at artic circle on the way home and get a big bag of french fries. I remember how good they tasted after a long afternoon of swimming. One time Susan and I wanted to see if we could stay up all night. We laughed and talked and played. Unfortunately Susan's bedroom was next to her parents so just after we drifted off to sleep, Karen burst into the room. She rousted us out of bed and put us to a long day of work on the farm as punishment for keeping her up all night! I remember Brother Brown as a really funny guy who teased and made a lot of jokes. They were good friends. I'm friends with LuAnna, I work with her in scouts now. Denise drives bus for Kerry so I see her from time to time. I see Lynette at lifetime events for her kids. She always sends me an invitation. Thanks for bringing these memories back to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those were some very good days. Simple. Sometimes I wish I could go back to that, but we have to grow up, don't we! When I wrote this post I thought a lot about dad and his ability to make friends. I actually put that in my post but ended up deleting it out. I was feeling like I was boasting about myself because I felt the way he made everyone else feel. He never met a stranger! I feel like I've never met a stranger, either. I am uncomfortable in large groups, but I can make an instant friend walking down the street. I'd like to think I was like my dad. I loved that quality about him. Thanks Kelley.

      Delete