Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Hunter's Orange

 A blog post inspired by the color orange.


It's been a long time since I have thought about the days of hunter orange. Orange is the color you wear when you go hunting. Hunter orange pops out and signals to other hunters that you are a human and not to shoot! You wear orange for safety reasons. 

I took hunters safety as soon as I was old enough. My best friend Lynette and I were anxious to get our card, making us legal hunters. We were 12 years old. So big!

I passed the 8 week course and a shooting test and was ready to go hunting with dad. And, of course, that was only natural... with him being game warden for the State Fish and Game. Dad always encouraged and welcomed us kids to go out with him every year sometime during the hunt.

The day before the deer hunt weekend was a holiday in Carbon County. The school district designated Friday of opening deer hunt as "Hunter's Orange" day. A day to dress up in hunter's attire. I usually found myself in a big, oversized sloppy orange sweatshirt with a drawstring and hood. One of the many that was stashed away in the basement with orange hats, gloves, vests, and coats. It was so exciting to be at school. The anticipation was high with talk of going deer hunting. And... of course I had claim to the best guide around. My dad! 

2 comments:

  1. It was exciting to dress up. Do you remember school started early and let out early the day before the opening of deer hunt? They would serve breakfast instead of lunch. I always looked forward to the deer hunt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I remember that. It makes me want to live one day as a kid again. Weren't those days the best! I loved the deer hunt with dad.

      Delete